January 6, 2010

I Don't Believe It!

That there is a God, that is. Well, except when I can't find my keys. Logically I don't see it being possible and spiritually I don't feel it, and not for lack of trying. I'm not a "religion is the opium of the masses" sort of an atheist or even the religion has been the source of too much suffering kind. Hell I usually end up defending religion to other atheists because in reality I don't think its all bad, just an "easy way out" method of dealing with life's toughest questions.

I grew up Lutheran, went to Sunday school every week, got confirmed and all that good stuff. Even back then I think I was leaning towards agnosticism and  there I remained stuck for over a decade. Letting go of the belief that there must be some sort of God strangely wasn't that hard, but leaving it behind completely is terribly difficult.

Thinking there is a God is such a wonderful crutch. In the last year since I've decided that I, indeed, am an atheist I've prayed and asked God to get me out of trouble more than once. In a pinch, I'll say something like "please God don't let this stinky homeless person sit down next to me" when I'm on the El. Once my temporary problem is solved (without any smiting) I brush it off and scold myself for being inconsistent. Believing in God would be so much easier.

6 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this blog, you're being honest! I'll follow you too.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, fellow writer! I like this. Remindes me of a great line I heard on Inside the Actor's Studio about God. Ricky Gervais says about being an athiest: "If God exists, how come he made me an athiest?".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Secretia: Thanks its a pleasure

    That Gal Kiki:Good line, funny guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you seen 'Religulous'? great dvd to rent - funny and really quite hard hitting about the reality of religion in the world and the truth about the assumptions that are often made (i.e., that the founding fathers were christians, which they were not). good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the Bill Maher movie right? I've been meaning to check it out but I'm not really a fan of his so I've been skeptical about watching it. Sooner or later I'll give it a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh I see we think alike. :)
    The difference with me is that I was devoid of religion in childhood. My mother was not into church and whatnot although we had a copy of the lord's prayer hanging around the house. I actually had to force her to go just so I could see what it was about. I then found a pentacostal church that was doing Sunday school and tried that a few times. I had way too many questions that the teachers didn't (couldn't) answer.. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...