February 24, 2010

Body Language

Having finished Life of Pi (review coming soon) I decided it was time to make a trip to my favorite used bookstore. It's a  Catholic bookstore/second-hand shop filled with little old Catholic ladies that always crack me up. I have to say I made one hell of a haul today. I spent a whopping ten dollars! Seriously, there isn't a book in the place that costs more than a dollar. I raid the classics section regularly.

Today's Haul:

A beautiful old copy of Shakespeare's complete works.

Philosophy books from Bertrand Russell, Immanuel Kant, John Locke (no, not that guy from Lost), and Plato that I eventually plan to impress chics with.

King, Queen, Knave by Vladimir Nabokov.

A cool compilation of Turgenev's works printed in 1942.

Two Salinger books that aren't Catcher in the Rye (how timely).

And then this little gem:
Yes! A book of erotica by Anais Nin, for a dollar, at a little Catholic bookstore filled with little Catholic ladies. How awesome is that? I absolutely had to have this. The beauty of this find however presented a potentially awkward situation. I've been going here for a few years now. Delores is a delightful little woman who has a habit of reading out the title of every book I take to her. Offending sweet Delores sure as hell wasn't going to stop me so I shoved it into the middle of the pile hoping she wouldn't notice. I got to the table and she was reading off the titles as usual and adding up the cost when she saw Delta of Venus, Erotica by Anais Nin. She paused, looked up at my sheepish grin and winked.

I love you sweet (and possibly kinky) Delores!

Wonder if she still has one of those Catholic school girl outfits from her younger days lying around? Retro-kink is hot.

13 comments:

  1. Ha ha! That's awesome. Maybe you can impress chicks with your erotica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to think I have been by passing my little religious bookstore thinking it filled with ... well ... religious stuff. Guess where I'm going tomorrow?

    Christopher you make me laugh, '... and Plato that I eventually plan to impress chics with.'

    Looking forward to your review of 'Life of Pi', it was an Edinburgh publisher (Cannongate)who first published and thus propelled this publisher into the big league.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a girl I attend Immaculate Conception Preparatory Catholic All Girls Academy and you know the tunic/kilt were nothing but itchy and it is for this reason I never understood the erotic untertone.
    You take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VegKat: Good idea!

    Sharon: Definitely have to let me know how that goes!

    Romantic: Well they don't look itchy to us. As far as the appeal of it, I think it has something to do with destroying innocence. I take great pleasure in being a corrupter of souls and I imagine others do to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! We LOVE Delores...she is soooo cool! Well, now you know you have the green light for any future erotica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief, Delores is Catholic (I'm assuming), not dead! Still waters and all that...

    re: Your music poll. I voted yes. But The Thrill Is gone is one my favorite songs of all time. I keep reloading the page to hear it again. Well chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha... nauthy Delores.
    Catholic girls are wilder than you think ;)

    Pleasure is the bait of sin.
    -- Plato

    Oh, come on Plato. Lighten up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent. i love old books. delta of venus is a longtime favorite..pick up 'little birds' if you like that...it's lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so fantastic. I can't imagine the nuns that worked at my high school would every be that awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathryn: Yep, if I'm ever lucky enough to find more there I'm all over it.

    VR: No she definitely has some life left in her. It's one of my favorite songs too, the other one I love from him is Help the Poor from Live at the Regal. Good stuff.

    Dutch: Apparently so!

    Eco: I'll have to keep that in mind. I've been wanting to read her for a few months after I read some of Miller's stuff.

    Erika: Well she definitely wasn't a nun, I don't think she'd make it as a nun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita." Did you think, I'd be able to resist such a temptation.....Shakespeare? Oh, I'm gonna go crazy....There is a Shakespeare Literature class next quarter, I am considering it. Big spender on books! Sounds like you've got some good stuff going on! However, I like my newspapers untouched...Till I get them...I like, my books untouched. This economy makes me re-think, a lot of those odd quirks. Which, there is actually a pretty good reason for. But, I've swore off buying books, till I read, what I have. (Mostly, anyway. I'm trying to, Anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could have never been a Catholic school girl. Which I'm sure is surprising. I love that lady. Everyone needs some erotica every once and a while, even if you're an old lady that works at a Catholic bookstore. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have a contact number for Delores?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...