May 1, 2010

ERAzona

I'm sure by now you've all heard about the insane law just passed in Arizona. They portray it as an immigration law but I hesitate to call it that. Anyone not carrying proof of citizenship at any time, and without any cause, can be detained. I'm white, so it obviously wouldn't happen to me. But, legally, if I walked to the corner store and forgot my drivers license in Arizona I could be detained. How many times do you leave the house for just a few minutes and don't bring anything with? Hell, you could go out your front door to go get your paper, and right when you're on the sidewalk (which is public domain) a police officer could ask you for your identification and if you can't produce it immediately he can take you to jail. Would he be a dick for doing that when you're in your robe and just getting your paper? Yes. Would it be perfectly legal for him to do so? Again, yes.

Americans need to stop looking at this as an immigration issue. It is a privacy issue. Just because your skin is white it doesn't mean your exempt from this treatment. Imagine if your skin is brown? Can you imagine the harassment that is going to go on in Arizona? I've lived in Chicago most of my life and I've been pulled over and harassed many times just for being with someone that is brown or black. Seriously, me and my friends would get puled over three times a week for no good reason. Racial profiling goes on in every city, town and village in the country and if you don't agree with that then you don't have black or latino friends.

I was pleased to see that people all over the country are taking a stand, particularly people interested in, or playing for, Major League Baseball. The other day when the Arizona Diamondbacks were in town there were a ton of people protesting out in front of Wrigley Field. Cubs fans (who fucking suck but I'll give em points for this) actually ripped up their tickets (which aren't easy to get) and spoke out against these insane laws Arizona passed. Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen (who fucking rocks) called on all major league players to boycott the All-Star Game this summer in Phoenix. The MLB Players Association has called for the All-Star Game to be moved to another city. Almost half the All-Stars will probably be from a Latino country and could very well be detained if they don't have their visa and passport in their pocket. Most major league teams have their spring training facilities in Arizona and that is a major boon to their tourism economy. You get some 18 year old kid from Venezuela here legally and trying to make a baseball team get pulled over and not have his visa and passport and he'll be stuck in detention for who knows how long? This is a ridiculous law. They might as well brand us with barcodes. Boycott Arizona, all of our freedom depends on it.

13 comments:

  1. I am so horrified by this. I seriously, can not even put it into words. I have friends sticking up for it, and I don't even understand...this brings back thoughts of Japanese interment camps, among other things. I can't even intelligently word how much it bothers me; I'm just too frazzled by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that people need to stop looking at this like an immigration issue and start to focus on privacy. I was just in Arizona a little over a week ago. I understand the idea behind the law, but unfortunately they didn't think it through very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so glad that the MLB is taking a stand on this. One of the only way to make the point to Arizona that this law isn't going to work is to hit them where it hurts, their economy.

    It'd be one thing if they're law required everyone to just start carrying identification, but this law so obviously targets just one group. And they still have yet to show how they would identify illegal immigrants by anything other than skin color. I shouldn't even say illegal immigrants. They're not looking for European students who's visas have expired or Asians entrepreneurs who's work visas have expired. They're looking for Mexicans, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly why America is the only nation who houses the most inmates in the world. We're detaining them for stupidity instead of worrying about the importance. We have truly gon corrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is almost exactly what started the genocide in Rwanda.


    I've said many times before, people are people.
    No matter what the colour of their skin.

    This is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, Cubs rock. All I took away from this post is that Cubs fan rule. ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure wish I could say, I had not had the most uncomfortable experience of being asked if I was a U.S. Citizen. When, I am an original-First U.S. Citizen. 4/4 100% Native American indigenous going back 7 generations. In Washington State their were Border Patrol agents who boarded the bus! Me and two other people were asked about our Citizenship; There were freaking 20 other people on the bus, Who uh yeah well, were White? Did I answer, Uh no. Was I disgusted, annoyed and irritated, Uh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sickens me. The government loves to hide hidden agendas under seemingly harmless and misnamed "laws". It's definitely an infringment on privacy. If that ever happens where I live in Canada, I'm moving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sometimes I think America is the only place that gives a damn about this stuff. too much free time and too much money if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again our government had an idea...they set off half cocked, and half baked in their execution though. Does Arizona need some law to help put power into the hands of people who can do something about the sheer volume of illegal immegrants, yes. Was this it? ...no. I know people who have lived in AR, others from New Mexico, and the illegal immegrants is a huge problem, as it is becoming in much of the south. I understand the reasons for wanting to come here, but there are legal channels, slow and daunting, but legal. Illegal immegrants have access to jobs which are in short supply lately, as well as free aid and assistance that legal residents who are truly poor need. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the system taken advantage of because when you aren't legal there's no paperwork. That means they can't prove you have money or a job to pay for things, so the tax payers pick it up. Alabama has 1 immigration officer. One person for an entire state can detain, question citizenship, etc. It may not bo the right thing, and it will cause innumerable issues, but there was at least an attempt to do something instead of decades more of inaction, like the Governor said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for the MLB, and Good for Ozzie Guillen! Way to take a stand!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is certainly a fuzzy line between your description of immigrations issues, privacy issues, add to those two, constitutional and human rights issues. The trouble is, you have to be able to afford to challenge these impositions. It is visibly justice at a price, probably a large human cost to boot.

    The focus on jobs, the lack of them, will let these regulations steal a march. As people become hungrier for what little employment there is available,the population will be happy for 'a tightening up' of the rules. It is happening in the UK, except it's well underway here, even so, Government is being pressed to do more. We have other issues you don't, but the outcomes are similar

    It seems your state laws supersede your federal constitutional ones, not that I am an expert in this matter. It is a xenophobic time bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds familiar ... Here in France, if you get stopped by the police and you have no ID on you ... you're fucked. (Pardon my French)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...