October 21, 2010

I'm Illegal

Well, sort of, one of my direct ancestors is. Some sleuthing by one of my family members recently uncovered that my great-great-grandparents were born in Finland, traveled to Canada and snuck into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. After a couple years they had my (great) grandma Lil.

Yes ladies and gentleman, my sweet (actually really mean), 4'11", born in 1909 and died at age 93 great grandma Lil was in fact, an anchor baby.

Being the American (or is it Finnish?) patriot that I am I walked straight into my local Immigration and Naturalization Services building and told them the entire embarrassing story. As I indignantly stomped my feet and demanded to be deported to Finland immediately (hey airfare for a European vacation is expensive) the pompous bureaucrats did nothing but laugh and told me to fill out some form. Perturbed, I sat down next to a pregnant woman of Hispanic descent trying to hold back her tears. It really touched my heart, obviously she really wanted her free trip to some tropical resort in Costa Rica or Bermuda. She didn't speak any English so I just put my arm around her to console her. I told her she was lucky that she hadn't had her baby yet or she'd have to jump through bureaucratic hoops like me. She smiled a little and held me tight. Us illegals have to stick together.
_____

Image taken from: http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/directory/a/anchor.asp

5 comments:

  1. that's awesome. the first person on my mom's side of the family to come here was a stowaway on a quaker ship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahaha, this is awesome. As a Canadian, glad we could help! Or completely destroy your life by helping to rob you of your Finnish identity, whichever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that's cool. I think my great great grandfather was part of the Ellis Island thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eco: Very nice.

    Liv: If they would have stuck it out in Canada I'd probably be a lot nicer person.

    Yellow: I think I've got some family that did it that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of us Australians come from good English convict stock .... I'm sure if I traced back my family would for sure !!!
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...