October 15, 2010

One Man's Trash...

In my alley yesterday evening there were two boys, maybe 7 or 8, standing by my garage and looking very suspicious. I got out of my car to unlock and open my garage when they started making small talk in a casual manner that belied their obviously mischievous intentions. They asked if I lived here. I said "yes". They said "oh, it's a nice place". I said "thanks" and with a raised eyebrow went to pull my car into the garage, fully expecting to see my garage door egged the next time I returned to it. Once I got my car settled and went to close the garage door I looked across the alley to see the two boys on their hands and knees greedily digging into something. Curious, I went for a closer look and when I did I startled them out of their ravenous digging. They knew they'd been caught red-handed now and we're in deep trouble. I looked over their shoulders and saw a torn garbage bag filled with at least 50 action figures. They guiltily asked if they were mine. I said "no, but that was some score they came across". Relieved they both exhaled and said "I know right?" and I walked away smiling and wishing I'd found a treasure trove like that when I was their age. As I closed up the garage I heard "Oh man, look Spider-Man! And Mario, YES!!!

Below is what remained of the stash when I got home today. I guess stegosaurus isn't as cool as he was when I was a kid.


8 comments:

  1. I'm so going to go take out my action figures and play with them now....seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool post! i never see cool stuff like that--trash or not--lying around. or maybe i don't look lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a lovely story.

    i'm going to find all my old action figures now.

    stegosaurus, is still really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a whole bag of superhero action figures last summer at a garage sale for my nephews. You would have thought they won the lottery. We are having a blast playing with them, especially when we form armies and go into battle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came across your blog via Melanie. :)

    I miss action figures. I had more girly ones as a kid during the late eighties, but they were so much fun to play with. You could be as creative as you wanted and they were fun to collect. I'm glad some young kids still get excited about them, rather than sitting at home playing video games or texting. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. see girls? even that young, ya gotta keep an eye on those boys...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky kids! My boys would die to find a stash like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post! That "action figures" thing sounds just about great.

    Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
    Betty :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...