October 20, 2010

Something Wicked This Way Comes: A Review

I'm always the most nostalgic in autumn, particularly October. I'm always running around too much in the summer to sit back and reminisce about what summer was like when I was just a boy. Now that the leaves are turning and the northern hemisphere is cooling off I've been slowing down a lot. Cooking chili, reading more, writing more and reflecting on what it was like to jump into piles of leaves, TP houses in the neighborhood and dress up in homemade costumes that didn't look anything like what they were supposed to.

Ray Bradbury (when he isn't writing about book burning or aliens) inspires a sense of nostalgia like no other writer I've ever encountered. Something Wicked This Way Comes almost makes me feel like I'm ten again, running around town and getting into adventures with friends. The story is about an evil and magical carnival coming to town near Halloween and causing all sorts of macabre mayhem. I can't think of any book I'd rather read at this time of year. Bradbury was obviously feeling pretty nostalgic when he wrote this because the plot centers around the longing people have to become young and free again and has some really deep insights into life. It's much more than just a story for kids, although they would love it too.

I'm going to go sit on the stoop and reminisce. I wonder if I can find any Affy Tapples at the corner store.

13 comments:

  1. aaaaahhhhhhh, such a great film....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, that movie (I've never read the book) still makes me shiver. Just at the thought even. I can still see those tarantulas crawling everywhere, and I don't even know why.

    Enjoy those Affy Tapples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw. It sounds like a great read!

    Those Affy Tapples are gonna rot your teeth! Probably better than the caramel ones...it gets all stuck in between your teeth.

    WHY do I keep talking about teeth??

    ReplyDelete
  4. iZombie: Yea the movie was pretty decent too.

    Janet: creepy crawlers up your back...

    kathryn: They didn't have them anyway so I got regular apples, which are much better for my teeth. Maybe you have some strange teeth fetish, weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall gives me the same feeling. And I love finding books that I can sink into like that and make me look inward.

    This makes me want to swing in the park :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I've never read this. I feel like a miserable failure.

    I love fall too, but it makes me really sad. I think possibly because I know winter is around the corner. And when I was a kid, it also meant school was starting. And now, it means the same things, except it means I lose my kids to it. But, my favorite foods are made in the fall and winter. Lemonade and BBQ is nice, but nothing like pumpkin roll and chili and apple pie and bread pudding....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love feeling nostalgic and then taking the time to reminisce. I loved my childhood.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love autumn, too! The best time of heat.
    I love the fall colours and the splendid weather.

    Thanks for sharing this post, it looks like a great read!

    Happy Thursday!

    Betty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha! You ate an apple! I'm soooo impressed, Chris. lol
    I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read this book but I think I'll get a copy this weekend. Have you got yourself a Nook yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eva: I'll race you to the playground!

    Carolina: Don't start talking about winter yet, pleassssssse don't start talking about winter yet.

    Fickle: Me too.

    Betty: I still like summer better, but fall definitely has its charms.

    Robyn: I know look at me, Mr. Healthy. I've thought about getting a nook, they look pretty cool but I don't think I'm ready to abandon the feeling of a book in my hands just yet. Especially when I have like 50 unread books on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know that many of the classics are free on nook? I think Santa is bringing one for me. I'm surprisingly ready to make the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Autumn is my favourite time of year and I sometimes wonder why ... You clarified it for me - nostalgia ...

    Question: Did you create that link below re. PGCE University courses? What a coincidence as I am currently researching a post grad course in teaching. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...