Nowadays we like our hero's flawed. We pick Spider-Man over Superman. People flock to the theaters to see vampires trying to overcome teen angst. Vampires used to be the bad guys. Now somehow we've morphed our former demons into sympathetic characters. The world isn't so black and white to us anymore and while that isn't a bad thing it is something that our collective psyche has yet to adjust for. America has fallen into some sort of depression - and not the economic kind. Here is a list of the signs of depression from a website at the top of Google's list:
1) you can’t sleep or you sleep too much
- With 400 channels running 24 hours a day and the internet always on it's obvious a lot of people (myself included) aren't getting enough sleep.
- We've lost all focus and concentration. With overwhelming majorities we vote for one agenda and then two years later we vote for it to be dismantled before we've found out if it's even working.
- We're broke. How can we ever pay down our mounting debts? We can't find jobs and we've got our soldiers in two countries getting killed without any end in sight.
- You all saw the non-stop attack ads before the election, right?
- Fattest country in the world.
- Have you seen how out of control and angry some of these tea-party people are? They're not the only angry ones, either.
- An ABC news poll recently said that 43% of Americans believe the fabled American Dream is dead. We really do need to seek help, don't we?
When will the inner-Bogart in all of us return?