November 3, 2010

Election Hangover

Last night wasn't very fun. I had some friends over to watch the election results and it was a far cry from 2008 when we were all stoned in Grant Park watching the overwhelming election results come in over the jumbo-trons. That was a life-changing moment that erased all the awful defeats we suffered under Bush. It's a much different mood here in Chicago today. No one called in from work, no one banged any wide-eyed, idealistic activists. Yes, Democrats, we took a pretty good ass-kicking last night.  Don't worry too much though, the American people are fickle enough to give us back the keys to the House of Representatives in 2012.

Now the pressure is on soon-to-be-speaker Boehner and his band of merry Republi-tans to actually do something. Can anyone remember the Republicans say they were actually going to do anything except take away things once they got in power? Well, besides cutting taxes for the richest 2% of the country? No? Me either. They'll blow this chance. Obama will have someone to rail against besides his own party in 2012 and we'll take it all back and finish what was started in 2008, but with a better economy and a lot more popularity. It'll work out people, I promise.

The more disconcerting thing which I'm trying not to dwell on is the loss of so many governorships with the redistricting due soon after the 2010 census. Well, that and no pot.

11 comments:

  1. Ha. Wait....what happened to the pot? Did we lose the pot? Did we accidentally throw it away?

    I guess the bigger question is, "Did we ever HAVE the pot?"

    Maybe we only thought we did. But you've promised we're gonna be okay, so I'll hold you to it.

    Does this mean there's more pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why they should get rid of parties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hopefully this is a blessing in disguise...republicans will do the same shit during the bush years and then america will finally be so effing sick of their shit for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i believe, Chris. And i'm a foreign national!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ted kennedy is rolling in his grave

    i am just now exhaling because our governor's race almost went to an elitist ex-NBA player who hasn't as much served on even a school board.

    what upsets me? obama apologizing so much.

    and the loss of our ballot measure that proposed legal dispensaries for medical marijuana. but good news in CA, even though they didn't legalize it, they have voted to tax it. hell, it's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the same thing that this is a far cry from 2 years ago. I was so happy 2 years ago I didn't even need pot. This time I was eating chocolate. Lots of it. I hope what you're saying is right. We need hope now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What happened to the pot? Wait. What? I'm so lost.

    This is why I don't do politics. Although, I look forward to the day when it's not us versus them, you know? When it's just us and us and us. It probably won't happen. But I'm hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice post and very good blog...
    Follow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm curious to see what's going to happen now, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kathryn: don't worry, i know a guy.

    Yellow: it's an idea, but I still think people would find away to make a mess of it.

    Paige: that's what I'm hoping for at least.

    Harry: Well that's encouraging!

    Eco: Yea, our governor barely eeked out a win, they just declared it today. I'm not too upset with Obama apologizing because to be honest... he's a better politician than this. On the other hand, he spent up his political capital and got a lot done, so I'm torn on that question.

    Climb: I'm an optimist because I have faith in people. We do stupid s*** at times but for the post part I think people are good. We'll figure it out.

    Carol: California voted AGAINST legalizing "it". I'd like to see that too but I don't really think it's possible. Our constitution set up a government that ensures that the opposition is at each other's throats. They've been going at each other since the founding of the country and will do it as long as it lasts. The sad part is the only times we really do come together is when someone like Osama or Hitler are threatening us. I'd rather argue than have that happen.

    Missed: Thank you!

    Honda: Glad to have you here!

    Eva: I think it'll be pretty boring actually, filled with petty bickering.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...