January 14, 2011

Guilty

I've got a bit of an addictive personality, it's a genetic thing. If I wasn't so fickle I probably would have died from overdosing on something by now. I keep balance in my life by having many addictions to many different sorts of things. The thinking being that if I get addicted to something like say, blogging, it'll give my liver a break for a couple months. I'll do something intensely for a while and then quit cold turkey when I find a new flavor of the week. I've been through many different addictions over the course of my life. Jazz music, photography, pot, crazy women, cycling, tobacco, zombies, alcohol, pork chop sandwiches from Maxwell St., various pharmaceuticals, Bob Dylan, writing, collecting DVD's, dead Russian writers, newspapers, politics and if I ever build up a big enough bankroll I'd like to take up baccarat James Bond style.

So when I received The Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award from Penny Lane (who was a total enabler when it came to getting addicted to Twitter) and read that the requirements were to name 5 guilty pleasures I thought "pfffft no problem, where's my mic so I can thank Jesus and accept this award?".


Then a few days later Tara gave me the Stylish Blogger Award. Now I've only just come across Tara's blog recently but needless to say she's got damn good taste and from what I've read so far she's interesting too.


Now that I've got more awards than a Chinese freedom fighter in a prison camp I should get on with fulfilling my duties. Since one of my addictions is also cutting corners I decided that I'd combine the requirements for the two awards. Instead of listing five guilty pleasures and seven facts about myself I'm going to go ahead and list seven guilty pleasures because I've got plenty to spare.

Streaming movies on Netflix. I'm a total geek when it comes to the awesome service that Netflix supplies. I hardly watch TV at all anymore. If I'm need of entertainment I just fire up the old Xbox and I'm in movie watching heaven. I even started another blog where I review all the crazy s*** you find on Netflix because I want to spread the awesomeness to the world.

Asinine Arguments. My immediate and extended family don't interact like normal people. They show love by trying to humiliate each other in arguments. Instead of well wishes and holiday cheer my family sits around raising their voices and making angry wagers. For example, about 15 years ago my grandpa got it in his head somehow that pigs and bears are related. My mom of course countered that it was ridiculous (it is). My mom wagered a steak dinner. My grandpa argued that it wasn't enough. Lobster must be wagered! They looked in the library and found they weren't related. No, that wasn't good enough. They actually wrote to National Geographic to settle the bet. Surprisingly, they wrote back and confirmed how ridiculous it is to think that pigs are related to bears. My grandpa paid up but to this day the argument still comes up at family functions. Growing up in an environment like that I've become a wicked devil's advocate and can argue nearly anything from any side if I at least have one or two facts on the subject. It gets really ugly and nasty if I forget that not all people relate verbal pugilism to love.

The RZA, the GZA, Ol Dirty Bastard, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon the Chef, U-God, Ghostface Killer and the M.E.T.H.O.D. Man!
Yes, ever since I picked up the Wu-Tang Clan's classic Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) from Camelot back in 8th grade and heard Can't It Be All So Simple I've been a die hard fan of the Wu. I even spent months tracking down the movie Shogun Assassin so I could finally watch the film featured in GZA's Liquid Swords. I just picked up Ghostface's Apollo Kids which I'm indulging in now.  

Sauteing Onions. I don't know what it is but I absolutely love sauteing onions. It's like a form of meditation for me. 75% of the pleasure I get from cooking comes from sauteing onions. Yea, I don't get it either.

Comic Book Cartoons. If you're around my age you may or may not remember all the awesome comic book cartoons that were on Saturday mornings when I was 10 or so. X-Men was my favorite but Spiderman, Batman and The Tick were all pretty awesome too. I was flipping through the channels last spring and saw that Toon Disney had the old X-Men cartoons on and you better believe I DVR'd those. Anytime I need to go to a happy place I just pop one of those on and watch Wolverine kick some sentinel ass.

Minecraft. Minecraft is this awesome computer game that is basically legos for grown-ups. The graphics are clunky but there is just something that is so compelling about building all those huge structures you never had enough legos to complete when you were a kid. I've gone on youtube and people have built scale versions of the Empire State Building, the Roman Coliseum and all this crazy stuff. I'm still pretty new to it so I'm mostly just trying to not get killed. Kind of hard to explain so watch the trailer below if you're interested.


Lowriding. Here's one that I'm pretty sure none of you would have guessed but I'm a member of a lowrider car club. You see, I have a second family. I have my real parents who raised me and are totally awesome but I've also managed to acquire a very cool second Puerto Rican family that has adopted me as their light-skinned son. Oh, and let me just say If I had room for another guilty pleasure it would be Puerto Rican rice. That is the best food in the history of the world. Anyhow, since they're all big into the lowrider scene and I became best friends with their son I in turn got into the lowrider scene and this summer we did this to my car:


Here's me and some of the crew trying to look tough:


So there you have it, seven of my many guilty pleasures. Thanks again to Penny Lane and Tara for the awards. And yea, I know I'm supposed to give them out but I suck at picking favorites and breaking the rules is also one of my guilty pleasures.

18 comments:

  1. Love the car! Someone should do a low-rider coffee table book. Maybe someone already has. It's a definite art form. From the clothing, tattoos, the upholstery. So amazing. I would love to be a hanger on myself.
    Love the onions, too. It's the only food that makes your garbage smell good. Good base for French onion, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your well deserved awards!!!

    You guys are great!
    Love that pic of the car..now I am off to watch that video.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your awards ... er ... I'm guilty of something myself ... I 'fess that I didn't read all of your guilty pleasures ... was getting a little weird ... oh!

    Chuffed for you all the same, Mr Popular :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shogun Assassin is a classic film-- I got my copy from Amazon, I think. I am also obsessed with the WU, but not just their first group album. Wu-Tang Forever is also a masterpiece, and just about every other album the RZA ever produced is pure gold. Awesome, I'm always happy to meet more Wu fans! SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh.
    Which is... you know... GOOD.
    I am relieved to hear that your apparent A.D.D. has saved you from overdosing on anything.

    And congrats on the awards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will take the title of being your Twitter Enabler, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on all of your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice blog, just subbed to it.

    Make sure to follow mine at thewatchfanatic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get the sauteeing onions thing. I do.
    Congrats on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did I not know we were raised in the same family? My husband (when we were first married) didn't get why I was always arguing with him. :) Silly man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. having just written a blog posting drinking the best part of half a bottle of brandy, I wouldn't say blogging would save your liver. You can tell from the post too, lol.

    David

    http://britsintheus23.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I did not see that last one coming. Low-rider club? Dang, you are a man of mystery. That's even better than my penchant for chicken sandwiches with honey.

    P.S. I also have an addictive personality. Like, okay, you just gave me a seriously awesome new list of things to be addicted to. Like I could probably become addicted to your family with enough exposure. I've never had an argument about pigs and bears, but I should. I should.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahaha great post..i also have an addictive personality..bigtime

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL. You're the man. Sauteeing onions is really exciting, don't you think? When it starts to smell sweet. . . OHH!!

    Congrats on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  15. But don't your eyes tear up when you slice or cut the onions up first? Now that right there takes away any and all pleasures from sauteing onions. That and the fact that the farting commences soon after. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw. Congrats on your awesome awards! You totally deserve them.

    Um. But, Bud? I think that front tire is f-l-a-t.

    Oh, and you're such a GUY....I almost can't stand it.

    Almost. ;) (Yeah, I'm winking. It's not a facial tic)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the addiction theory. Made me laugh. Nice to know I'm not the only person in the world who goes all out from one thing to the next. I'd have more free time if I wasn't so addicted to filling my free time with stupid shit to be addicted to :)

    Anyway, congrats on the awards!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...