January 28, 2011

Revolutionary Excitement

What an exciting time to be alive.

As a history buff and a hopeless romantic I've heard those words spoken longingly and with love by representatives of generations past, but I've never even considered uttering them myself. I'm beginning to think I'm a fool for never even making an attempt.

A dictator has been toppled in Tunisia. There was no bloody military coup and no bombs were dropped on bruised and battered cities. Patriots, in the truest sense of the word, spontaneously and peacefully rose up, spoke out and demanded democracy and human rights. Nothing can defeat a united people with a righteous cause.

As I write this, a courtship is taking place between Nobel Peace Prize laureate Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei and the hundreds of thousands of protesters working to defeat the iron-fisted, Egyptian autocrat, Honsi Mubarak. While ElBaradei has admittedly had his ups and downs in the Egyptian political arena, if he is accepted by the Egyptian people as a leader of their revolution, a powerful force would be formed that even the most strong-armed techniques would be unable to defeat.

Revolutions and good ideas tend to spread like wildfires. There is no greater idea than the universal human rights of men and women. Last week human rights were fought for and won in Tunisia. This week the good fight is being fought in Egypt. Next week will we see revolution in Iran?. Before you know it the oppressed peoples of Saudi Arabia and beyond will be free from tyranny. It isn't as impossible as it seemed a month ago, is it? A good idea can go a long way.

For far too long the people in that region of the world have suffered under imperial rule and then tyranny from within after they gained independence. Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Thomas Jefferson are alive right now in every oppressed nation of the world. Instead of being patronizing, or writing everyone in the Middle East off as terrorists, we need to support our brothers and sisters in their fight for freedom and human rights.


Image taken from here: http://www.csmonitor.com/CSM-Photo-Galleries/In-Pictures/Egyptian-protests/%28photo%29/333928

13 comments:

  1. well said, although I'll believe Saudi Arabia when I see it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher, I can't thank you enough for this gesture. I don't know if you know, but I am Egyptian. I fear for my country, but I hope for the best. Things can end up going in various directions, but I trust in the true desire for every Egyptian to be free of oppression.

    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  3. David: Yea, I don't even remember ever hearing of protests in Saudi Arabia but I'm being an optimist today. Doesn't help that the government has near unlimited resources either.

    Nevine: No need to thank me. I'm truly excited for the future. While I obviously don't have the ties to Egypt that you do, I'm of the opinion that when some of us are uplifted all of us are uplifted. Hopefully things work out as peacefully as possible and positive, lasting change is the result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I certainly never thought I'd even see the possibility of change in Egypt in my lifetime! It's heartening to see Tunisia break free, but the Egyptian government is a tough nut to crack. I wish North Africa was more stable...so many places I would love to see there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Christopher. Thank you for following my blog I love hearing from you. I love revolutionary ideas as well. Chaos and confusion with the goal of peace is so dangerous, but it calls, does it not? I like your blog, it keeps me up to date, and makes me think. Thank you again and I will be back here to snoop often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just about to say what autumn did, your blog keeps me so up to date with the worlds goings on, i really enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I'll agree with Autumn and Helen. I'm a fan! :)

    And, I love today's optimism! It's so nice to have a reason for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn: Yea, that Mubarak seems like a pretty stubborn guy. I just saw that he made everyone else in government resign but he wants to stay. I really don't think he gets it.

    Autumn: I really enjoy your blog too. Come back as much as you like!

    helen: Always glad to spread the word about what I find to be important.

    Jo: Indeed it is. I'm generally an optimist but sometimes I can get a bit pessimistic and that just makes me a crabby person. This is much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. today i was told the riots in egypt were because they turned the internet off. i like your post better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder what will happen in a month? I hope to hear good news in Egypt by then. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's wonderful to see some places in the world improving peacefully!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be glad, be very glad you live in interesting times and are doing so while NOT at school! Revolution and evolution start at home. The people of Tunisia got up and showed the rest of the world what people can do when they decide to simply stand and say "No more"

    :D

    Hmmmmm, one of the distractions in my WRAP is to look at LolCats, for teh lulz. Next time I'm a depressive wreck find the most tasteless joke possible and comment with that?

    Smartassery and dead babies FTW.

    Also you mum. (I had to go there!)

    Oh yeah, if you haven't read my blog archive, then DON'T. Lots of crazy going on back there, lots and lots of crazy D:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eco: I guess Egypt isn't the only place suffering from misinformation. The internet was turned off BECAUSE of the protests.

    Lydia: Hopefully real democracy and human rights will happen in a month. Fingers crossed.

    Tamara: It definitely is. A welcome change from places degenerating into violence as we've seen so many times before.

    Peridot: Being tasteless is one of my specialties, I'll remember that in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...