February 28, 2011

Donna Lethal

She was the cool kinda cat that always landed on her feet. She clawed cliches, murdered menstruating memories and did diabolical deeds for demented dudes with deadpan deliveries. There were people after her. There were always people after her. These gentleman however, were of the particularly brutish brand.

She'd stolen from them. She took the bag of money, but she didn't body-bag the old broad they paid her to punish. She sat in the diner smoking her cigarette and stalking the senior waitress. The target looked worn, leathery, lost and lame. Donna couldn't figure out why anyone would pay so much to have this barely breathing, walking corpse put on ice. She wasn't about to find out either. She covered her harsh eyes with her smokey shades, walked out and hit the road.

She never said why she didn't waste that woman. Maybe she figured old age would finish the job. Perhaps the coffee was just too good. She might even have reminded Donna of Momma Lethal. The reason isn't important. Donna had to go, go, go. Donna couldn't afford a day off. Unfortunately this dame had a dreadful sense of direction. She zigged when she should have zagged. She was headed for Mexico but got pinched in Minnesota. She got picked up on July 10th, 1967 and was unaccounted for on the 11th. Did they take her? Did she disappear?

We'll probably never know. But, if you ever consume a cup of coffee in a dingy diner in the desert and come across a cold stare from a wily old waitress make sure you're kind and or cordial. It might just be Donna Lethal herself, dying to ply her prior trade one last time on a couple of unsuspecting, obnoxious patrons that had no idea who they were talking to.
___________

Image taken from Lethal Dose

18 comments:

  1. Okay this post was really cool. Donna Lethal? I gotta look her up! I love her hair and that weird stare. I'll be careful in the future in my diner runs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. impressive!
    must watch out the next time i am in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, my mum says that shit went down a long time ago, and that she has fully reformed herself and is a changed woman.

    she also says she would like to speak with you alone in this dark alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice use of alliteration, hey weird how she reminds me a bit of that infamous mug shot of Myra Hindley

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I thought she was a blogger. "Unfortunately this dame had a dreadful sense of direction. She zigged when she should have zagged." Fabulous! Love, love your fiction. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice piece of work my man....

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm a pretty new reader of your blog, had to join in the praise of this post, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks nice.

    Just misunderstood, probably.

    I like your wordmages here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write so well, in a completely creepy sort of way. Please take that as a compliment. I love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder what she might be hiding in that gigantic bee hive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christopher Robin, It's really her name, cool. I just finished a story set in a diner, but this one is far more cool. My writing classmates were all of them, appalled, how I killed off the main character's in my last story. This time, I aimed for sweet, warm and fuzzy. Blah blah Blah. I like to kill off the character's, it makes it an original story. I'm not like the story writers for the mini-series Dallas, where Bobby Ewing is in the shower when Pamela wakes up. Or, is it the other way around?I don't really know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a beautiful mind, Christopher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really really love this. Your alliterations in the first paragraph are just killer. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm for some reason only half the post can be seen. I tried reloading but still same.

    clomid

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...