April 2, 2011

Because I'm Bored: Depp v. Day-Lewis

DeNiro, Hoffman, Nicholson, Pacino and Poitier are obvious names when any discussion of the greatest living actor comes up. However, I think we can all agree that they are all either retired or have lost a step from their former greatness. When I think of actors that are still in their prime three names come up: Denzel, Depp and Day-Lewis (Maybe DiCaprio). Now, I love Denzel Washington. I don't think he gets nearly enough credit as he should. He's easily one of the best, and most consistent actors of all time. Think about it, have you ever seen a bad Denzel Washington movie? As much as I love his work, I don't think he has the range of Johnny Depp or Daniel Day-Lewis.

Now I've always been a Johnny Depp fan, especially in the lean years between Edward Scissorhands and Captain Jack Sparrow. Blow, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ed Wood and Donnie Brasco are some of my favorite movies of all time. I would even anxiously await movies like Don Juan DeMarco, The Ninth Gate and Secret Window just because he was in them. Not only that, Johnny Depp is probably the only man in the world I would consider having a homosexual encounter with. He is the man, and has been my favorite current actor for some time now.

Then I got Netflix and started going through Daniel Day-Lewis' back catalog. Holy f***** f*** that man can act. I mean, I'd seen how great he was in There Will Be Blood and I saw him act circles around Leonardo DiCaprio in Gangs of New York, but I didn't realize how f****** incredible he is until recently. I'm starting to think he might be better than Depp and I'm going to try and explain why. Watch your four favorite Johnny Depp movies and then watch My Left Foot, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, In the Name of the Father and There Will Be Blood. As much as I love Johnny, his best performances just don't stack up to those of Day-Lewis. I'm not trying to take anything away from Depp, I'd still do him. Depp's movies are more accessible, but I think Day-Lewis, with a few more brilliant performances, might be able to sit atop the acting mountaintop with Brando himself.

And yes, I'm aware that this isn't the sort of thing I normally like to do on my blog but it's Saturday and no one will read it anyway.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I'll read your post, just try to stop me...

    The thing about both these guys is how terrible they are at playing normal men. Depp is too oddly pretty and can't do ordinary (Ninth Gate and Secret Window are good examples, but also Nick of Time and the recent Tourist) and DDL is too wound up (have you seen Stars and Bars? Very awkward).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Johnny Depp, especially in Ed Wood, but I don't think he has as much range as Daniel Day Lewis. Depp plays a range of characters, but they are all quirky. They are all the odd ball...so they all seem somewhat similar to me.

    Daniel Day Lewis...he scares the dickens out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love fear and loathing in las vegas. and i haven't actually seen any of the others. but i'm commenting anyway, ah hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I find myself in the Day-Lewis camp. He does the Stanislavski (sic) method acting very well and has actually frightened me in some of his unhinged roles, especially 'There will be blood'.
    Depp is equally as good and has pulled some amazing rabbits out of his acting hat.
    Hey, what about what's his face? Blimey...ummm...oh yeah...what about Sean Penn? Now he has crafted an interesting career and would easily win hands down if there was a 3-way caged acting fight between him, Depp and Day-Lewis.
    But that's another story....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only did I read this, but I agree with you. I've actually been on a big Depp kick lately after seeing the Tourist (underrated movie, btw, I enjoyed it quite a bit) and have been rewatching a lot of his classics. He's a living legend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stand Depp or Day-Lewis. I think they're both a couple of wank artists, especially Day-Lewis. I wish I could pinpoint why they both piss me off so much, but I can't. However, I think DiCaprio is one of the best actors out there. Just watched Basketball Diaries for the first time recently and I was blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's because I feel like they play the same character is every movie. I hated Depp's Willy Wonka, I think he ruined a classic character. And There Will Be Blood was a total snoozefest. Definitely a wank artist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Depp. I haven't watched much of anything with the other, but I love Depp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, daniel day lewis is the best actor there is, he beats them all. every last one of 'em.
    i've always been a depp fan, and i had to laugh at your homosexual encounter line, cuz while i find him to be one of the two most beautiful men i've ever seen (keanu reeves is the other) i have zero sexual attraction to him, it's like he oozes no sex appeal. but he sure is purty. so maybe he's sooo purty that his sex appeal is more for the male viewers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say, you have impeccable taste in actors. And I totally forgot about Don Juan De Marco. I loved that movie. I'll have to get it on Netflix. Have you seen Room with a View? Daniel Day Lewis was pretty great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denzel Washington is the best!!!
    Also, I have never watched any movies of Daniel Day Lewis. I should make some space in my already full hard disk :|

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh fuck you for being a study-procrastination enabler! I was GOING to be good and watch this weeks Kurosawa film for class on youtube, but NOW I'm going to be watching Day-Lewis!

    I don't have enough crazy hats yet! My next missions are a black tophat and a cherry-red Pork Pie hat. Know any good milliners?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definately think Day-Lewis is an astounding actor. I read an article about him that said he does so few films because he totally immerses himself in each character he plays, and the stress of it all wreaks havoc with his emotions. I do like Depp, DiCaprio and Denzel, but I have trouble telling their characters apart at times. In closing, I think John Q was a bit of a misstep for Denzel. I couldn't really connect with his situation, but then again Anne Heche ruined the movie from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Day Lewis destroys Depp, Penn, Denzel, and all the others. Only Brando and De Niro come close. If u don't agree, then watch My Left Foot, Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood, and Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...