April 20, 2011

Just a Thought

Apparently there is an oil crisis going on in the world that has caused gas prices to skyrocket. Except, there hasn't really been any oil crisis. The only reason prices have gone so high is because there might be an oil crisis at some point in the near future. We are paying extra money at the pump right now because of something that may or may not happen in the future.

Confused? Don't be. It sounds like bullshit because it is bullshit. They throw in words like speculative trading to explain it in order to keep people confused. We're being scammed for billions of dollars right now. Then again, we're used to getting scammed for billions of dollars. We bailed out Wall Street after it lost our investments. We sacrificed thousands of lives and billions of dollars to get Big Oil back into Iraq. Yet, both of them are still fucking us with no vaseline (which ironically is made with the products left over from processing crude oil).

I won't go so far as to say we should go Hugo Chavez on the mother fuckers and take over the operations ourselves... because that would make me a communist and get me assassinated.

But, for every cent that gets added to a gallon of gasoline we should reward Wall Street and the oil companies with another regulation. We need to realize, as a people, that deregulation has only fucked us, as a people. They make record profits, we choose between groceries and gasoline.
_____
Image taken from: http://www.leavedebtbehind.com/frugal-living/saving-money-tips/gas-cost-you-how-much-more-survival-tips-for-budget-conscious-drivers/

11 comments:

  1. But then how will the profiteers pry us from our meager earnings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't take it.

    I tried to fill up my tank the other day and it only cost me...well all the money I had.

    Like come on people!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Great sign. I think we ought to be looking far and wide for alternatives, and quick. I'm not ready to give up my first born for gasoline. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on sir! Spot fucking ON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cause of all the ruckus in the Middle East. Revolution and all, y'know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sucks, it really does. I would be open to other options such as public transit as well, except I live in a small town in the middle of a cornfield. I feel like I'm stuck.

    When I run errands throughout town, I usually walk, because I like walking, but now it's almost a necessity. (Okay it's not a necessity...I'm not that broke, but I am more conscious about my driving.

    What really gets me is my commute to and from work, filling my gas tank almost twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a non-issue for me - three years this spring living car-free and loving it. Never a need to choose between groceries and gasoline. And while I make a conscious decision on this and others have a more challenge not being in areas where mass transit is as accessible, here's the thing: EVERYONE can lower the amount they drive. Too many people drive because they want to, not because they have to. Too many people don't even consider getting on their bike or - gasp! - using their legs to walk a few miles to work. The problem with this country is all the "I want it the way I want it and for everything to accommodate me". Without a car I've lost NOTHING that's important in my life. And I haven't paid for gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. -nor have I dealt with silly traffic jams - in 3 years. Pretty damn cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this just makes me angry.

    drguhaerguo;aerhgeruighaeruih.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I agree. It's an angering situation; unfortunately, not unique in that the middle/lower class gets screwed over - and has been, so many times - that we don't even bat an eye anymore. 2. I'm with EcoGrrl. Being car-free for the past 8 years, I've learned the importance of city planning, public transportation, and appreciating what's around me. 3. Unfortunately, not everyone can use their feet. The disabled, the elderly - the people in these situations are already financially vulnerable, and even more so now.

    It's a complex issue, and one that merits a lot of discussion . . . thanks for bringing it up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...