June 6, 2011

Have it Both Ways, I Insist.

I'm not exactly sure why but I've always taken a severe umbrage anytime anyone makes a statement that doesn't make sense. At the same time I have a habit of blurting out completely absurd sentences all day long. This, of course, makes me a hypocrite. Which isn't really so bad. When you think about it, being a hypocrite is extremely advantageous if you're good at it. You can say one thing and then do whatever the hell you want. It is terrifically easy and I'm  not really sure why it hasn't been embraced more in society. There aren't as many hypocrites as we say there are, it's just that when one is exposed we feel such intense glee that it feels like it happens more often.

People often hold up politicians as models of hypocrisy in action. Sure, there are a few, but for the vast majority of politicians it simply isn't true. Most politicians say one thing and then do nothing. That isn't hypocrisy, it's laziness. I come from a "do what I say, not what I do" world. Where I grew up hypocrisy had a different name. It was called parenting. No sane parent would say it's OK for a child to do the things that I've done (no matter how good it felt). Socrates was sentenced to death thousands of years ago for corrupting the youth. He wasn't a hypocrite and look what happened.

[INSERT YOUR OWN CONCLUSION HERE]
_____
Image taken from: http://www.justsaypictures.com/images/contradiction-what-contradiction.jpg

10 comments:

  1. Parenting really is a form of hypocrisy and I really have no problem with hypocrites, so long as they realize their hypocrisy and embrace it. We gotta have some kind of accountability!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's just the way it goes - hypocrisy that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That is some funny signage. It's virtually impossible to function without hypocrisy--I mean, at some level, we're all fooling ourselves. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beer is the ultimate hypocrite. "Beer, the cause, and solution, to all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaaah the ole 'don't do as i do, do as i say' trick...jeez louise, i mean where are we meant to find our feet under all this nonsense?
    By the way...give me the co-ordinates to where this sign is....it is driving me wild and i wanna...fuck...it...up

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I'm a hypocrite, I'm totally okay with it. Ignorance is bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Socrates was sentenced to death thousands of years ago for corrupting the youth. He wasn't a hypocrite and look what happened."

    Hahaha! That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI...you have the best comments ever! <3.

    That sign is so silly and your probably right...a victim of laziness. I'm a hypocrite too but I think we all are a lil bit. A lil dark side we cling too just in case we need it on a rainy day. Love your Socrates statement, I can't tell you how many times in my engineering classes he was mentioned for his work and teachings, yet then in history class learned of his demise. Isn't it ironic? =P

    Have a good day dude...a very good day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a warning. For my evil cat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm...

    Well, laziness when valuing industry would be hypocrisy, n'est pas? I don't know. I have a hard time with hypocrisy, irony, and just comedy. They all look the same sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...