June 4, 2011

In my day...

Last night I was having a conversation over the internet about what it was like before the internet. It's such a vague memory now even though the internet only really became a part of my life about a decade ago. I try to comprehend what life without the internet was like and I always come up short. I vaguely remember being at a mall and using a pay phone to call someone to come pick me up.

I remember there were these things called pagers which you could call but they would only beep. I would dial a number at a pay phone. Then I would enter something like 420-20-911, followed by my phone number. Sometimes they would call back, other times I'd have to go find them. I never have to find anyone anymore. I don't have to even remember anything anymore. I was never much good at remembering things anyway.

I still remember my old house number, my grandma's number and the number of a few of my friends. I think that's kind of cool, but it is also going to date me horribly. I'm probably the youngest person alive that remembers a life before technology. When I'm 60 I'm going to be telling all these young whipper-snappers what it was like before facebook and twitter. Then I'll get really annoyed because they'll ask me what  facebook and twitter are. I'll laugh and say, that's how I used to stalk your mom. Then I'll smile and say, if only birth control was digitized.

8 comments:

  1. I think about the differences between now and the past quite often. It changes so quickly and I'm really curious what else could be new to us in 10 years from now.
    Nahno ∗ McLein

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Now wouldn't that be something? I'm betting birth control will make great strides in years to come. Gosh, it seems like it was so long ago that we were using pagers! I remember my first computer at work--purely for data entry and internal communication, and I remember how I was so amazed by it. Now my kids get around on the iPads and iTouch like they've known it forever. (They have!) I don't know anyone who can hit a button and make magic quicker than those two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's strange, i don't actually remember a time when i didn't have a computer to use or play games on. i can't quite figure, is that a good or bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I liked the way things were before the internet and everyone having a cellphone. Sure, it sucked because you had to plan things out before doing them, but I wish we could all go back sometimes. Things were simpler then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad has that beeper, and he was totally big man on campus.

    I like to reminisce about the times before I wasted my days away on the interwebs. I don't have many but there were a good like ten solid years there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubs and I have been on the internet for about a decade and a half. We were talking about it not long ago and wondered how we ever got anything done. Unlike the commenter above I love it, the old days may have been simpler but they weren't nearly as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i remember rotary phones. and hated dialing my grandma because she had two zeros in her number.
    i remember when if you moved nobody would be able to find you again because you'd have a different phone number too.
    now we have the whole cyber sex thing, so that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sort of a Luddite.
    On the upside, I might actually be able to survive if something happens to the power grid.
    Plus, I'll be the only person my age who doesn't have brain cancer by age 40.

    On the downside, I'll never know the joy of random Craig's List hookups.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...