June 15, 2011

Reparations

I'm kind of torn over the recent Tracy Morgan anti-gay rant. On the one hand I love Tracy Morgan and respect his right as a stand-up comedian to say whatever the hell he wants. Anytime I've ever watched him he has vomited hilarity. On the other side of the coin, I love the gays as well. I've written to my Congressmen and went to protests and whatnot and believe they should be given the same rights as everyone else. Hell, I even love gay stand-up comedians. After all, Ricky Gervais is easily one of the funniest comedians on the planet in my book.

As to Tracy Morgan saying that if his son came home sounding gay that he would "stab that little n***** to death", I get the feeling it was a bad joke in the wrong context (probably, I didn't hear the joke and if I'm being honest the way Tracy Morgan talks makes any random gibberish sound funny). I'm sure if Lisa Lampanelli made a joke about her son sounding gay and finished it with the punchline "stab that little n***** to death" she could make it work. Which is kind of funny because she's white and has probably f***** Tracy Morgan at some point. But, the gays love her so it's OK! It must be because before she goes on to tell incredibly offensive jokes about gay people she prefaces it by saying "first off I have to say that I love all of you c********** f******". I'm sure if Tracy would have said that first he would have had a little more luck. Or maybe not, there seems to be a perception out there that black males are particularly homophobic so maybe he has to overcome that stereotype before he can talk about these other stereotypes.

I know it seems rather ridiculous that two people could say the same thing with one being embraced and the other ostracized, but sometimes you need ridiculous solutions to ridiculous problems. With the Kobe Bryant incident, and now this, we're seeing the beginning stages of America as a society saying it's not OK to bully, chastise, or make fun of people because of their sexual preference anymore. It's kind of like the way white people were scared to say anything about black people in public for fear of being labeled a racist for all those years. Homophobia is the new racism. Weeding out misplaced hatred takes a generation or so but it clearly can be done. After all, no one thought a guy like Obama would be president now, just like not many would foresee us having a gay president 40 years from now (we will!).

I know the whole idea is kind of silly but it has been shown to work. The anti-PC crowd will hate it, but then again most of them hate everything anyway. It's our own fault. For far too long the punchline of any gay joke was a punch, just like for hundreds of years the lynch pin of any black joke was... well, you get the idea. It might not be 40 acres and a mule, but black comedians were able to monopolize making fun of black people years and we got some pretty damn good stand-ups out of it from Pryor, to Murphy, to Rock. All of whom did pretty well for themselves and that's the closest to reparations we'll ever get. Now the rest of us will have to fork out money to people like Mario Cantone, Ricky Gervais and other up and coming gay comedians if we want to see gay people getting made fun of professionally.

We'll be a funnier nation because of it.

Oh, and in case I ever screw up and write something that sounds homophobic, I would like to say that NoFU loves each and every single one of you wonderful cocksuckers.

24 comments:

  1. I thought Ricky Gervais was married to a woman?

    And I completely agree that if Lampanelli told the joke it would have been better received. Who knows what was going on in Morgan's mind at the time on stage? I was put-off when I read about his homophobic slurs, but I also wasn't there when it was said. I have been sincerely hoping that he meant it to be funny and it didn't come out right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, what was that? I was distracted by that sexxxy picture of Tracy Morgan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of that picture, he looks like he's standing how Butters on South Park stands when he pees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part of the problem in the case of Morgan's standup bit is that we got all the info and jokes second hand. There doesn't appear to be any video or audio of it.

    I'm not saying that it would have been appropriate IN context, but in comedy, context and delivery is everything.

    Comedy ought to break taboos, but being a bully is never very funny. Finding the line between those extremes is comedy.

    I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i must've been living under a rock because this is the first i've heard about the tracy morgan mess. i'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and think it was a misunderstood joke, he just doesn't seem like a hater.
    but what the hell do i know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just curious, why do you think Ricky Gervais is gay? From what I understand he's been in a 20+year relationship with a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, the thing I love about comedians, or rather the thing I admire about comedians is they can say whatever the fuck they want. Bo Burnham ( one of my favorites) was asked in an interview if there is a line he won't cross and he basically said that as long as it's funny it's fine.

    I mean I find Tracy kind of annoying mostly because he is so annoying on 30 Rock but I don't think he meant anything by it, he was just doing his job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think he would stab his son for being gay. He was, you know, joking.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a jim-dandy of an ending!

    I have to tell you: I think gays have it pretty good already. The last thing we need is another victim-class advocating for special rights.

    Plenty of people think I'm gay and I've never been assaulted, ostracized for passed over for a promotion. Hell, I might turn queer just for the job opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that most people focused on "Ricky Gervais is gay" because I had to google it to check. ...He's not by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm actually well aware that Ricky Gervais is not gay. Just trying to start an internet rumor for no good reason. Plus he just looks so fetching in those tight black shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree.

    People need to focus on the important things not getting their knickers in a twist over Tracy Morgan being an ass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go watch 'Five poofs and two pianos' by Tim Minchin. Fucking epic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess it depends if the joke is funny or not. No topic should be off limits but if you're not going to be funny then expect people to not like you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you do realize how awesome it is that you seem to have inadvertently offended people by calling gervais gay, considering the nature of this post, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. How awesome would it be if we had a gay president? Damn, that seems far-fetched, but I'm hoping it's gonna happen someday. That would be a real milestone of change!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just looking at Tracy Morgan makes me laugh. I don't think there was ill will in his rant. Better not have been.
    Well said, Christopher. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't pay too much attention to the whole "controversy", but even as a comedian you have to be careful about certain things. You can joke about whatever you want...but when your jokes come a little to close to a sensitive truth, there is always a good chance people aren't going to take it well.

    I think it's just bad timing on Tracy's part. At the height of the "It Will Get Better" campaign probably isn't the best time to joke about violence against gays in any form. And you're right, you can pick on your own all you want with no fallout.

    Tracy can joke on blacks. Ricky on gays. Jeff Foxworthy on rednecks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, seriously, I love the comments about Ricky Gervais. Like, yeah, fine, gays, Tracy Morgan, whatever. IS HE REALLY GAY?

    I appreciate you trying to start Internet rumors. It's a worthy pass time, dear sir. Oh yeah, your tolerance and sutff is cool too.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not sure what he was thinking when he cracked that "joke." Sometimes I think comedians get a swelled head and think anything that comes out of their mouth is hysterical. Once their in the zone it is hard to make a good judgement...

    And I totally bought that Ricky was gay after reading this post. I was not surprised at all. In fact, I am more surprised now to hear that it isn't true! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice pic. And I agree, if Lampanelli had told the joke, there would've been a different reaction to it. But then again, based on my limited knowledge of this subject matter, I've also wondered with the evolution of comedy into something with virtually no boundaries, where is it right to draw the line? And based on a general lack of rules, what makes it right for one person to joke about something and not another? Insightful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not really a fan of stand-up comedy. No, make that I detest stand-up comedy. Give me the British sitcoms any day, where one can be politically incorrect without being offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've named off a bunch of people I've never heard of (I'm sure it's because I don't have a TV), but hey, I think that comedy, like writing can't have boundaries (with the exception of illegal language like libel, assault, slander, and threats blah blah blah).

    Once upon a time, people thought Howl was horrific, but now it's a classic.

    I don't know if stand-up comedy has an equivalent, but so often things are meant in "satire" but are taken literally because people are to roughened up by it. Oh well. Time shall tell. Until then, I think I choose not to care what a stand up comic says.

    Non issue. I shrug and say "whatevs"...

    ReplyDelete
  24. BTW, your posts haven't been getting on my reader. Must rectify.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...