July 25, 2011

New Heights

I don't really have time to write in the summer. As much as I like words, writing them down just feels too much like summer school. I would much rather be out in the world having fun, enjoying the warm weather and checking out all the leggy dames in booty shorts with gams up to their necks. I also have a tendency to pick up random hobbies that keep me busy all summer. You may remember this from such blog posts as Guilty and My Summer as a Somali Pirate.

This summer's random hobby is... roofing. A buddy of mine owns a roofing company and I've been working for him on the weekends. Probably my worst idea for a summer hobby yet. The extra cash is nice, but somehow I managed to forget about my fear of heights until my first day on the job. At this point, however, I've mostly gotten over that fear and I've been flying up and down ladders all over the North Shore in the last month.

The work is hard and brutally hot at times, but it is also fulfilling in a way that my full-time gig isn't. I feel a real sense of satisfaction when I'm dead tired, covered in sweat and looking at something that I fixed with my own hands. You just don't get that feeling when you're pushing papers for the man. It's the kind of job that makes me feel I deserve a cold beer at quitting time, rather than one that makes me crave a stiff whiskey all day.

Sadly, between my regular job, the part-time gig, and my rampant alcoholism I just haven't really had much time for blogging. Fear not, loyal reader. Eventually, the cold will return and I'll revert back to a hermit-like existence in which I'll have plenty of time to write about what I experienced this summer in future blog posts such as: What it's like to be a Mexican, and, Male Prostitution: Good? Bad? or Giggity? Until then, know that you're in my thoughts even when I'm not thinking about you.

19 comments:

  1. Ha. "You're in my thoughts even when I'm not thinking about you"....love this! I'm uber-impressed that you're plowing up and down ladders and making people's roofs safe and smooth. I'll bet you do gutters, too. You've probably got muscles on top of muscles and a wicked tan. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better come through with those promised blogs. Especially the male prostitution one.

    I have missed your blogs, but I suppose if they were going to be the result of heat stroke and alcohol poinsoning, then I guess you might as well wait until Fall.

    Be careful up there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roofing as a summer hobby? Eeeeeeep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I've missed you ;) Glad to see you are doing something productive with your summer instead of being a lazy P.O.S. like I am when I have free time. I actually love your theory about the fact that certain jobs make you feel like you deserve certain types of alcohol. I've always seen jobs in that way. My current one makes me want to drink alcoholic beverages that force me to throw up afterwards. My new job should be more of the "lets go get some margs and cosmos" type of drinking job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked roofers, until they started coming to my house at 8am on Saturdays to do their week and make it impossible for me to get naked in my own room during the day.

    Otherwise, I understand your sense of accomplishment from using your hands. Not that I have any hobbies like that, but hey - I get it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing more satisfying than the feeling of absolute exhaustion after a day of hard labor. I thought about going into demolition before... Miss your blogs, but glad you're staying busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure you are doing summer wrong. Try again next year, kiddo, with a lot less "labor" and a lot more "pantslessness." Trust me, you'll still want the beer.

    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you have left me in the quite the emotional weirdness state. On one hand I do not want the cold back, but now I want the cold because it means I have more Chris to read. See what you have done. I am discombobulated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yo, honestly, what IS IT like to be Mexican?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you haven't tipped over and died or anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear that you're having fun!

    The only job I've EVER had job satisfaction in was the hotel cleaning one. I could walk into a filthy room and 15mins later it would be PRISTINE. Not so with customer service jobs. Have you seen the obituary for courtesy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I definitely played "peekaboo" this morning with the roofers as I tried to avoid all of the 6 windows in my room, on which I have sheer curtains, that are currently tied up to allow the breeze through. This is what happens when I wake up late from work.

    And they'd better get work done during the week because I hate them on the weekends and they just took 4 days off because of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. roofing eh? or do you mean sitting on a roof and staring at naked girls-ing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's funny because you're hardly ever in my thoughts when i'm thinking about you. i am looking forward to your return though, i love those fucked up broken and sad, yet creepily hot love stories. (and your other stuff too!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Make the most of your summer and enjoy the roofing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. its good that you keep yourself busy as this keep evil thoughts away..but alcohol..it could be bad for your health....
    well...God bless you
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Notes From Underground" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2011/08/sites-to-see_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just stopping by again to say I hope you haven't fallen off a roof to you doom! :)

    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  19. come back with full force, please. Ive missed u

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...