September 27, 2011

Simplicity

As I was siting here looking over the blog stats that I used to so compulsively check only five months ago, I noticed that the only post that has been getting any hits is about Playboy and the only one getting any comments is about the Civil War. Classy masturbators and angry southerners are the only people visiting my little corner of cyberspace these days. Well, perhaps things haven't really changed that much after all.

The truth is, it's gloomy and miserable outside and that means it's about the time of year for me to start writing again. I have missed writing, but I haven't really missed it all. If that makes sense to you, then you are as confused a person as I am and I suggest you see a mental health professional immediately. Seriously, I wasn't trying to be funny.

Now, I will admit that I'm tempted to write one of those "I promise to be a better blogger" blogs, but I won't. Mostly because everyone hates those fucking blogs. You hate writing them, I hate reading them. They just suck.

Instead of offering up empty blogging promises I will share something that has always been a constant in my life: the pursuit of simple pleasures. After all, this is the season for them. Sandwiched between the excesses of summer and the holidays, we find a time where we can hopefully slow down and enjoy life at a less hectic pace.

For myself, writing is one of those simple pleasures, but so is that goop you feel all over your hand when you reach down into a hollowed out pumpkin. I love the touch of a warm body on a cold night or blazing through a favorite novel over the course of a rainy weekend. Laffy taffy, miniature snickers bars, scary movies, home-cooked meals, little kids in superman capes and Vincent Price will all make me smile at least once in the coming months.

I will enjoy each of those moments completely. I will celebrate their uniqueness and cherish the warmth their sameness brings. That, I can promise.

10 comments:

  1. I can understand completely.
    Whenever I go more than a week without blogging, I start to see my stats change to solely traffic looking for "lesbians on an elevator."

    I love to write, and I need to write, but writing (and planning to write) takes away time that could be spent with loved ones and doing things that are considered a life. A LOT of time.

    I have to balance it out with things that are actual experiences.
    I'm not very good at that, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is - welcome back. I haven't been doing much writing either, lately. Mostly because I don't feel like what I write is good enough to publish. Oh well, some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you're are back. I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds good to me. I might just be able to muster the same level of commitment. Trade out mini snickers for molasses kisses, and it's a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers, dude! Life is good. I especially like this time of the year because I become more enthusiastic about everything, and I hope you do too. Writing is awesome. Reading is awesome. Watching Survivor and Terra Nova is awesome. I hope all of us just enjoy the great time all the way to the holidays.

    Keep writing, man. Happiness is the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ew, pumpkin snot? That is on my list of least favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those things about autumn, too. I don't know why, but there's something incredibly enchanting about snuggling up with a good book when it's dark and rainy outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just come across your blog and read this post. Although I would like to think I too am a classy masturbator and angry (this does however depend on how my day is going and how many people fuck me off) Southerner (I am from London, which in the UK is classed as being Southern), I did not come (excuse the pun) across this post by typing 'playboy' or 'civil war' into search engine. Might try that now though.
    Funny post. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you are back to writing. And high five for enjoying the best things in life-simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to focus so much on the number of comments and site hits and posting every day. Then life happens. And you realize that sometimes you'll write more than other times. Sometimes people comment and sometimes they don't. I like your blog. I've been following it for almost two years now and I still enjoy reading what you've come up with.

    And I had a feeling you'd be around more since winter is coming.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...