November 25, 2008

To the Winter.

Dear Mr. Frost,

Please be kind to us. Last year was brutal. You proved your power. Endless sub-zero nights; foot after foot of snow poured upon us. You proved your power and we faced it with desperate determination. This year you must show us your mercy. Our financial situation is perilous, our societal bonds strained. As families lose income and the ranks of the homeless swell we desperately seek your mercy. Every frozen child and frost-bitten street-walker will be on your conscience. Don't make us forever hate you. That is not a threat. Instead, an opportunity to show your compassion.

If we are to ask you to be kind we must also show our love and compassion not only to you but to each other. When your brother comes to you in need old grudges must be forgotten. Old divisions must be bridged between families, between races, between countries, between enemies and within ourselves if we are going to survive this terrifying moment in world history. This won't be the first devastating moment in mankind, nor the last. When historians look back at our age and write about who was a hero and who was indifferent what side will you be on?

There is much more to do. There is much more you can do. There is much more I can do. Will we all do what we can?

5 comments:

  1. I should have taken a letter directed toward Mother nature, too! I froze last night, and the wind was fierce here, in NE Portland. Since I moved here in the beginning of springtime of this year; This will be my first winter here, And, it is proving itself too. But, here, Christopher, it is volatile. Not ever knowing from moment to moment. And, the weather doesn't ease into nothing. It is one temperature, Or another. No, halfway about anything. I will be making a trip to familiar weather tomorrow first thing in the a.m. and I have to say; I am relieved, to be where I know what to expect. What books, do I really love, you ask? I am partial to non fiction, Books about catholic figures are high on my list, Theology books, Almost anything by Leo Buscaglia, Old time books, or history books too, Native American authors of course, And sheepishly I admit I love Dan Brown's writing.
    Now it is your turn. Since you wrote about wintertime, what colors are your winter hats? Do you buy the hats, yourself? Do you like to shop for clothing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read some of your posts.

    interesting

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis summer here and I am suffering the wrath of humidity and heat.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Itua email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com and whatsapp nUmber +2348149277967 Dr Itua herbal medicines cure my herpes and hepatitis completely and it has been 3 years now there has been no outbreak, I'm so happy that I'm finally cured.
    Dr Itua can cure the following diseases; Herpes, Hiv, Copd, Diabetes, Parkinson, Hepatitis, Cancer, Lymes, Dr Itua Herbal Store www.drituaherbalcenter.com is very safe to use.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...